Solar power plays a critical role in transitioning from fossil fuels to renewable energy while reducing electricity costs and creating jobs. New Yorkers for Clean Power (NYCP) works to accelerate the adoption of solar by individuals, non-profits, businesses, and municipalities. Our work includes
- Supporting and connecting people with NY-Sun programs, a $1 billion, ten-year initiative launched by Governor Cuomo in 2013 to add more than 3 gigawatts of solar capacity in the state by 2023 (the equivalent of adding enough solar energy to power 400,000 homes).
- Calling on Governor Cuomo to double NY-Sun’s 3 gigawatts of solar goal and commit to one million homes & businesses powered by solar over the next five years with the Million Solar Strong NY campaign.
- Working with PowerMarket to subscribe people to community solar projects (and one hydro project) so that they can save money on their electric bill while supporting local clean energy.
- Promoting “Solar for All”-NYSERDA’s community solar program for low-income New Yorkers.
- Helping businesses and organizations reduce greenhouse gas emissions with energy retrofits, solar or other actions that will both save money and reduce their carbon footprint with the Ulster County Green Business Challenge.
- Bolstering awareness and support for solar by organizing campaign events and garnering media attention about innovative grassroots projects and successes.